• Chris Moon, 50, from Lanarkshire, is the first amputee ever to attempt the legendary Badwater run in California

By Daily Mail Reporter

|


A man who lost his right arm and leg in a devastating explosion while supervising mine clearance in Mozambique is about to take on one of the world's toughest ultra marathons.

Chris Moon, who suffered crippling injuries in 1995, flew out to the U.S. last night to take part in the 135 mile Badwater run in California.

He will become the first amputee ever to attempt the race, which gets under way tomorrow.

Chris Moon

Chris Moon will be lining up next to around 90 of the world's toughest athletes - runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers for a 135mile race through Death Valley to Mt. Whitney

The gruelling event pits around 90 of the world's toughest athletes - runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers - against one another and the elements.

It sees runners head through Death Valley to Mt. Whitney in temperatures of up to 55C (130F).

Mr Moon, 50, who was born in Wiltshire, but lives in Strathaven in Lanarkshire, has run the race before - in 53 hours - and wants to cut ten hours off his best time.

The 50-year-old, who was born in Wiltshire, but lives in Strathaven in Lanarkshire, has run the race before - in 53 hours - and wants to cut ten hours off his best time

The 50-year-old, who was born in Wiltshire, but lives in Strathaven in Lanarkshire, has run the race before - in 53 hours - and wants to cut ten hours off his best time

He is running to raise funds for a group of charities - including O2E, which helps disabled and disadvantaged children.

He has been running marathons, ultra-distance races and raising money for charity for the past 15 years - and is the first amputee to run a number of the world's toughest ultra marathons; beginning with the Marathon Des Sables in 1996.

He said: ‘I want to challenge the concept of limitation.

'I want to overcome physical challenges and show that I have not been weakened by the unfortunate things that sometimes happen.

'I run further now than I ever did before I was blown up.

‘I have worked very hard and I want to keep going until I am in my 70s.

‘I am driven by all sorts of things. What is life without aspirations?’

In September 2010 he became one of a handful of people to run more than a marathon a day for 30 days continuously, covering over 1,000 miles.

Mr Moon said: ‘I am excited. I have done the training and I just want to get out there.

‘I am looking to take ten hours off my best time. I know more about running and artificial legs have got a lot better.

Competitors in the Badwater Ultramarathon will cover 135 miles from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney in temperatures up to 55C

Competitors in the Badwater Ultramarathon will cover 135 miles from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney in temperatures up to 55C

Here's what other readers have said. Why not add your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

The comments below have not been moderated.

a real man

DM Send this article to all Premier League Football clubs.

Bless you - but please don't take too many risks.

What a remarkable man. Good luck

Well done to you - inspirational !

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.